Facebook Client Library for VB.NET
by Jay Lagorio
This library can be used to interact with the final release of the Facebook API Version 1.0. After instantiation using the API key and the Secret key given by Facebook, all functions should work as the API documentation dictates. The basic idea during development of this library was to make it as easy as possible to connect to and manipulate the Facebook API from either desktop or web-based applications. There are a few things the library does to ease the use of the API on the consumer:
Note: Due to scheduling and time constraints, development on this library has been suspended. Because the Facebook Platform is very dynamic and constantly changing, I can no longer make any guarantees that this library works at all. Additionally, support can no longer be provided.
If you decide to use this library in an application, please give credit in the documentation, in the about screen, on the web site, or in some other place.
- In profiles, all of the "Other Functionality link are properly assigned for that profile.
- When logging in, you really only need to call authGetToken and authCreateSession, checking to be sure that authCreateSession returns True. You need not save the authentication token returned from authGetToken since that is saved within the class.
- usersGetInfo, friendsAreFriends, friendsGet, groupsGet, eventsGet, photosGetTags, photosCreateAlbum, and photosUpload have been implemented as indicated in the API, but have been extended to support one-off calling. Rather than putting an array together to see if two people are friends, to get a single profile or group, or to quickly upload a photo,the functions can be called with a single ID string and a single return object or called with just a caption and a Bitmap object.
- Version 1.0 (8/20/2006) -
- Version 1.1 (8/30/2006) -
Added support for new profile attributes such
as profile_update_time, significant_other_id,
- Version 1.15 (9/1/2006) -
The library now works with both web-based and
desktop applications without any modifications.
- Version 1.2 (9/27/2006) -
Updated the usersGetInfo method and the
FacebookProfile structure with new fields as
outlined in the update made on September 26,
2006. The getWallCount function was eliminated as
suggested by the same update. sessionPing and
friendsGetAppUsers were also implemented. The XML
Parsing function was updated to handle the new
typing-attributes assigned to many tags.
- Version 1.3 (11/9/2006) -
Added the friendsGetRequests method, newly
added to the API, and added optional parameters
for getting the login address as implemented
by Facebook on 11/6/2006.
- Version 1.4 (3/21/2007) -
All functionality has been updated to support
functionality present in the final release of
Facebook API 1.0. New functionality includes
the ability to submit raw FQL statements and
receive the XML results, convert old FB API IDs
to new IDs, and closer control over group and
event information. What hasn't been implemented
(yet) includes uploading and tagging photos, but
but this will come shortly.
- Version 1.41 (5/27/2007) -
Fixed an infinite loop bug in the
- Version 1.45 (5/28/2007) -
This version is designed to work in web-based
solutions with better performance due to the
addition of the CurrentSession property, which
allows the consumer to save a structure with all
necessary session information between pages
instead of saving the whole instance in a session
variable. Infinite sessions have been implemented
by passing a parameter to the UserLogonURL
property during logon and letting the consumer
check with the InfiniteSession property.
Exceptions have been improved to include the
error message from the Facebook servers.
- Version 1.47 (5/29/2007) -
All functions in the photos namespace have
(finally) been implemented, including photo
uploading. The profile namespace has also been
implemented although it doesn't seem to have much
of an effect at this point since it returns fine
but doesn't actually change anything.
Finally, some structure members have had their
names changed to be consistant in all parts of
the library, for instance UID is now UserID. This
was as a result of many people noting the
inconsistencies throughout the library.
- Version 1.48 (7/1/2007) -
A bug in a photosUpload was fixed where captions
were not assigned to uploaded photos. Also added
was the ability to use the "bestserver.php" entry
point and all of the functions in the feed
namespace so newsfeed items can be posted.
- Version 1.75 (12/27/2007) -
Implemented the FBML namespace and Extendend
Permissions, including a property to generate
links asking for permissions. Also implemented:
profile.setFBML (update for 1/17/2008)
profile.setMobileFBML (helper function)
Additionally, the bug that confused sought gender
and the user's gender has been fixed and a
reference to System.Drawing has been added. This
version compiles under Visual Studio 2008.
- Version 1.80 (1/25/2007) -
Fixed an oversight where the is_app_added data in
a person's profile was not asked for, and
implemented the entire pages namespace. The
feed.publishTemplatizedAction method was also
changed and overloaded based on new policies.